Tuesday, May 27, 2008

First Post (Probably one of the last also)

I made this blog because I like so many other people collect baseball cards. I remember being very little when my dad took me to card shops and shows. I really had no idea what was going on, but it seemed like sports cards were the real deal. This was in the early 90's, before all the bullshit parallels, autographed cards, memorabilia/game-used cards, serial numbered cards, and even parallel autographed game-used serial numbered cards. It was just about collecting.

I remember being in Myrtle Beach one summer (I think 1992), I was 5 at the time and my dad took me to a card shop. It was late August and the Football sets were about to be released. My dad bought a bunch of packs and the shop owner was very pleasant, and seeing how he appreciated my dad's business, he asked me who my favorite player was, which meant I was probably going to get a free card or two. So instead of saying "Kenny Lofton", I said "BIP ROBERTS!!!". The owner looked really confused and my dad said "yeah, he likes odd players." That is my first memory of cards, and probably why I like to collect oddball stuff like MLB Showdown (which this blog will talk about frequently.

Lately, I really haven't bought any packs because most of the ones I want to buy are out of my price range (stupid stuff like SPx that is $20 a pack when I pull a Dennis Sarfate auto, yeah no thanks). So I look to the almighty Ebay and scour the Grady Sizemore cards. Outside of Sizemore, I'm going to try and finish my Fleer Metal baseball card sets and my 1989 Fleer set (all Ripken Varients and RJ Varients included).

Hopefully I'll have maybe 2-3 more contributors aside from myself, but that's wishful thinking.

No comments: