Saturday, January 28, 2012

Frustracija

It's very much my luck to get nostalgic for memories from your youth. Hell, I would even guess that nearly all of us who collect sports cards and collectibles do it for nostalgia. Yes, many do it for profit, but they are few and very disillusioned. FYI, there are easier and better ways to make money.

My nostalgia has hit hard lately in the form of 1990's NBA cards. Unfortunately, everyone else has decided to rekindle their love of 90's NBA cards, namely the inserts. I've been wanting to buy a box of Fleer Metal around the time of 1996 through 1998. It won't happen unless I give a kidney up (note: I would).

Having said all that, I decided I would head to my local card shops. By local, I mean ones located within 50 miles of me. Essentially, this boils down to a bazaar, six three card shops. One sold all his cards and now does memorabilia. Unfortunately, this shop was my favorite, which was a shame because the guy is awesome and had the 86 Fleer NBA set for $599.00. Shoulda, woulda, coulda. the other two were near Canton, and are completely gone. No idea what happened to them, but the last time I visited it was 2008 and I bought a box of Moments and Milestones rather then spend $60 on a box of Fleer Metal from 96-97. Again, shoulda, woulda, coulda.

the bazaar is hit or miss. A few guys set up shop there and always take my name and number saying they will call and sell me their miscellaneous junk common/non rare inserts for dirt cheap. I've never received one phone call. If you are a bazaar worker in Cleveland, leave a comment and you will get my number. Use it please.

Other than that, I'm nearly out of options. It shouldn't be this hard, right?

No comments: