Saturday, September 11, 2010

Larry Doby and Pancakes

I love breakfast foods. I could eat breakfast foods any day of the week at any time. Pancakes are the stand alone favorite. I also really like baseball cards, as evidenced by this blog.

1997 was the ultimate climax of passion between pancakes and baseball cards. The place was Denny's. I was 10. It was magical.

I do not know how I got this card, but I'm sure it had to do with a promotion going on TV or the paper and my dad catching wind of it. 1997 was Cleveland's duty to the sporting world to host both the MLB and NBA All Star Games. The MLB All Star Game was the 50th anniversary of Jackie Robinson and Larry Doby breaking the color barrier in baseball. If you care to read how I feel about the lack of support Larry gets from MLB, click here. If not, keep reading.

Like I said, I'm a big fan of breakfast foods. Denny's was the one stop shop for breakfast all day errydayy 24/7. And they were the primary place for a Limited Edition Larry Doby card.



I have never seen this photo of Larry before. I love everything about it. The jerseys, old Municipal Stadium in the back, the 3D feel, the black and white aesthetic.



The back makes the card even better. It states what Larry did over his career. His stats line lists Total Bases and On Base Percentage, but has dashes. Why even bother putting that if it won't be listed? Disregard the smudge on the card. Pretty sure it's glue. It's on the wrapper anyways, no big deal.

Nothing could make this card better. Well, actually something could. CAN U SAY 1/1 DENNY'S BREAKFAST MOJO HIT??!?!?!? I bet if I put this up on Ebay I could easily get $500, if not more. PANCAKE CASE HIT.



Before I made this post, I did look on Ebay and Checkoutmycards.com and found out that some dude in Chicago has this card on Ebay for $4.98, lol. Too bad this awesome card doesn't double as free pancakes for life.

1 comment:

Collective Troll said...

Great card of a great player... Loved the Dennys cards. Hope you had a side of bacon with your pancakes...