Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Support Your Local Card Store

I've had the itch lately. You know the one. Have some money burning in your pocket and ready to purchase anything. Usually, I do just that. I've made some pretty crappy purchases due to this problem.

However, knowing full well I'll probably buy something useless I've given myself one ultimatum, don't buy any packs. If I want a chance at a hit, just buy the stupid hit. Even if what I buy is garbage, I'll have saved some cash on purchasing just a hit rather than the pack. You could argue that "well, why even buy the hit, you could just save that money towards something you really want". While very true, I enjoy getting some goofy mediocre hits sometimes.

This is one of those times.

Ideally, I was going to make this post on Saturday night after work. However, both card shops were closed. Knowing I can stop by either (or both) of them today, I'd give it a second go around.

My first (and only stop) today was to All Star Collectibles just outside of Cleveland. This store has been around for awhile, longer than I can remember. I first vividly remember going with my dad in the mid 90's. The store itself hasn't changed at all. Plenty of nice cards to look at although time is slowly catching up to most of the inserts and autographs. But with any card shop, that is expected.



If you want to purchase wax, there isn't much of a selection. There are plenty of display cases, 8 I believe, full of autographed or game used cards. 3 of the cases are given to vintage cards from the late 50's to the mid 70's. Basically, my closet.

The owner, Steve, is one of the nicest card shop owners I have ever dealt with. He always asks what I'm looking for, if he can help me find something, and what kind of collector I am. These simple customer service qualities are so rare around here. After letting me look through the basketball rookies (no Petrovic) I mentioned how I'm trying to collect the 2001 Fleer Greats of the Game Autographs. He laughed when I mentioned that I have 2 of the 93. Luckily for me he had two and said he'd sell them both for $15 total. Deal. Welcome to the collection Ron Cey and Lester Lockett. Lockett is my first autograph of a Negro Leaguer. 4 of 93 done. 4.3% completed, baby steps.




I also mentioned to him how I really wanted the Jordan rookie. I don't know what got me hooked on this card, but I want it, bad. He was quick to get my attention and said "You missed the whole set when you walked in!" $550 takes the whole 1986-1987 Fleer set out the door. I don't have that much cash to blow, but I seriously considered it for a second. On the brighter side, I got to hold the Jordan for a few seconds, and right now, that's good enough for me.



But, I still had that burning sensation in my wallet and asked to see the Game Used/Auto'd $3 box. I'm a sucker for these. Lots of random football cards, which I'm not real big on. Then I found the crown jewel.




ZAZA PACHULIA, THE LEGEND FROM GEORGIA. I really like the shiny part of the card and the back is cool too. Best part is the back where the card says "In an 02-03 EuroLeague game he shot 10-13". I guess to the card that is a huge fact for Zaza.

This is a Top 5 card purchase of the year for me. $3, wanted $10. Enjoy my $3 Steve.

No comments: