Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Card Shop: Part 1

This is going to be a series of posts on my thoughts, questions, and possible future of all card shops nationwide.

Recently I've been thinking about local card shops. How exactly do they stay in business?

I've briefly talked about the card store that was near my house that closed down about 12 years ago. The owner was a friend of my dad. He would always tell my dad that this was his dream to open a card store, but once it happened, it quickly became a big loss of money for him.

It seems as though card shops used to pop up all the time and then fold a few months later. Maybe it's due to the owner having a dream to resurrect his childhood and to help other people feel the way he felt when he was a kid going into card stores.

With the way the economy is, I really wonder how card shops can stay in business. How do these places compete with online stores such as Blowoutcards.com or Dave and Adam's Card World?

I'd love to hear on what you think makes a good card store, and how they can efficiently operate under these times.

I also urge you to check out I Am Joe Collector, as he is opening up a card shop and has posted many good blogs on his ideas.

No comments: